Skip to main content

Tutorial - how to make a box for your dimensional cards.

Tutorial - how to make a box for your dimensional cards


WHAT YOU WILL NEED

This tutorial will give the measurements and formula for making a box for a 6x6inch square card.  HOWEVER....the formula I use to make this card is easily converted into other sized cards like 5x5, 8x8 etc.
For a 6x6 card you will need:

2 x A4 sheets of cardstock, white or patterned whichever you want for your box.
Hougie board, Scor Board, Martha Stewart Score board or whatever other score board you have that is on the market*  Not essential though.....if you have an embossing tool & ruler, that works too
Glue or extra strong double sided tape
Bone folder - not essential
Scissors
Ruler

MAKING YOUR BOX - THE FORMULA I USE AND THE PUTTING TOGETHER OF YOUR BOX
BOX BASE
If your card is 6x6 inches you wont want your box to be exactly 6x6 as the card wont fit in, it will simply sit on top and this is NOT what we want.   So, I usually add on 1/4 inch which gives room for the card and embellishments.  Therefore you will want the card base to be:      
6" 1/4 inches x 6" 1/4inches.  DO NOT CUT YOUR CARDSTOCK YET!!

This is just the measurement for the part the card actually sits on, you need sides to your base so don't cut anything yet, your box still needs sides.
Now depending on how heavily your card is embellished you need to think about the height of the box or how thick the box needs to be and add this onto the size of your card base. You obviously need it to be thick enough to fit the lid on and not squash flowers or embellishments you have on your card.  For the purposes of this tutorial I've decided to make my box 1/4 inch thick.
 But obviously you can add on whatever height you think you need.
 There are 4 sides to your card, which means you need to add 1/4" to all 4 sides of the card.  To make the maths easier, a 1/4" onto the 4 sides of the card is 1/4" x 4 = 1 inch total to add to your base measurement. You therefore need to add this 1" amount onto of your cardstock base measurement to make all 4 sides 1/4 inch high.  The amount of cardstock you will need in total is:

6 1/4" (represents card base on all sides) + 1 inch (1/4 height x 4 sides) This gives you the 1/4 inch height of box sides all the way round) which equals =
Sum again without words!!  6 1/4 "+ 1" = 7 1/4"
So you need a piece of cardstock measuring 7 1/4 "x 7 1/4" for your base of your box.  So go ahead and cut the base piece of cardstock and leave aside for now.

NOW FOR THE LID
Now, obviously the lid has to be that fraction of a bit bigger than the base so that it can fit over the base.  I have calculated for a nice and secure fit, you only need to add 1/16th of an inch on all 4 sides of your cardstock to give a secure fitted lid.  So to make your lid we will take the measurement we had from the base, and add the extra 1/16th of an inch to all 4 sides so the lid to fit.
So your base measurements were 7 1/4 " by 7 1/4".  But to add 1/16th of an inch onto the base size, we again need to multiply that figure by 4 to represent 1/16th of an inch of space on all 4 sides of the lid so it can be that little bit bigger.

So - 1/16th of an inch x 4 (sides of lid) = 1/4 inch
So if your base size is 7 1/4" by 7 1/4" you will need to add on your extra 1/4 inch needed for the lids 4 sides.
7 1/4" by 7 1/4" + 1/4 inch = 7 1/2 " x 7 1/2"
So.........your lid cardstock will measure 7 1/2 " x 7 1/2"

NOW THE HORRIBLE MATHS IS DONE....LETS MAKE THE BOX
This formula can be used for any card size.  You just have to remember that you need to add on your box's height to all 4 sides of your cardstock.  And when making the lid, add on the little smidgen extra for the lids size on all 4 sides.
Right, so you have cut your 2 bits of card, one at 7 1/4" by 7 1/4" representing your card base and your lid cut at 7 1/2 " by 7 1/2"
So take your base piece of cardstock to your hougie board (or use a ruler and embossing tool.  Now remember we added 1/4 inch on for the depth of the box?  So, score each piece of carstock at 1/4 inch on all 4 sides of each piece. Then take your base piece of cardstock (the larger piece) and score it at 1/4" also on all 4 sides.  Don't worry, this scoring will work out fine as your lid is larger than the base.  (my Hougie board doesn't have 1/4" marks, so I actually made my height of my box at 1/2 inch....sorry if this confuses you)
Once you have all sides scored on each piece of cardstock, you will notice at each corner there is a little square.  You need to cut one of the lines down to the end of the little square.  It doesn't matter if you cut at the side or bottom, but for a sleek look cut all 4 slits in the same direction, choosing either the side or bottom line to cut.
So you are now left with these little tabs on all 4 corners of each bit of cardstock.  Fold them in towards the inside and using a bone folder or just your fingers, fold all the rest of the folds inwards, see below.
Make sure your little tabs are on the inside.  Now glue or strong DST time!!
 Place your glue or the strong DST to the small tab back so it butts up against the back of the box wall.  Line it up so you have a clean level box seam.
Once you have done this to all 4 sides of each bit of cardstock you now have a box base and lid that holds a 6x6inches card.


https://ko-fi.com/craftyloops
If you would like to buy me a coffee, here is the link to my Ko-Fi page.  Thank you so, so much.  You have no idea just how much I appreciate it xx

Comments

  1. Your tutorials are great and so helpful! Thank you, Lee! Love, Ksenia

    ReplyDelete
  2. your tutorials are fabulous and so clear and easy to follow Lee...brilliant
    Mina xxx
    p.s. thanks for your kind comment on my colouring...I use distress inks, a paintbrush and water for colouring xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya loops! I made it over & have had a lovely snoop about your blog! I'll be back to look at your tut's again!
    Thanks for being a follower of my blog & I'm about to become a follower of your blog!
    See you soon!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial,thanks for your visit and lovely comments...
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tutorial.
    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. very creative!!! thanks for sharing the tutorial!
    hey, please stop by the pixie blog, we are having a giveaway!
    http://www.pixiedustpaperie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab tutorial hun, thanx for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. brilliant Loops xxx by the way nice name whereyda get it hehe xxxxxxxx

    huggles x

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow thank you for doing the tut for us all ... it is certainly very inspiring ... just doing a little blog hop ...well done and happy crafting love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a great tutorial - I made my first Hougie Board card box today all down to you. Brilliant step by step instructions. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for this tut. I really nee dto have a go at making these boxes before Christmas. As soon as new craft room is ready, it will be my 1st project xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. great tutorial,thank you for sharing sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous tutorial as always loops, you really are an inspiration! :-) Elaine-xxx-

    ReplyDelete
  15. How come I missed this one??? :(
    Its a fantastic tutorial... I always wondered how to keep my 3d cards safe? You answered my question with this tutorial... lovely dear.. I don't know about Hougie Board.. Off to google to know about it more...

    Priya...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tutorial, I'm def going to try this soon :) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so encouraging. Im doing it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOvely easy to follow instructions, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulously clear instruction - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent Tutorial! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Loops

    great tutorial, very helpful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm hopeless at math, thanks for the working out and explanations. Another on my list of to-do projects. Marian x

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks so much! I made a different size and going from your instructions, it was easy to figure out measurements. Now, I have a template going forward for other sized squares. thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Lee,
    Thank you so much for this information on making boxes! You explain this very well and make box making look very easy. I am going to give this a try tomorrow morning (as I am writing in the middle of the night.) I'm so glad I found your site! I am definitely going to bookmark Crafty Loops! Thanks again for your wonderful insight, explanation, and instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i think that the instrustions are very clear Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  26. i liked the instrustions for box cant wait to try it marion

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great tutorial very clear instructions...thank you...x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Finally found someone to explain how to make a box. I made an 8x8 wedding card and wanted a box to decorate for the cards.
    Thanks so much. Debbie August 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww you are very welcome Deb. I'm glad my tutorial has helped you out. Thanks for dropping by and commenting. Lee x

      Delete
    2. I need a tutorial on how to make an 8x8 card box for all my 8x8 cards can someone help please.

      Delete
  29. Thankyou so much for making tutorials. I really appreciate when others share their skills so we can pass on what we know.
    lots of love
    kawaiidolphin31 xoxo
    P.S. Sorry I don't have an account. I really couldn't be asked. Sorry for being lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. thanks for the tutorial! I've been looking for this almost a day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How do i make an 8x8 card box with a depth 1" please can someone help..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie. My tutorial here should help you make a box for an 8x8 card. It's very simple maths. Just follow the instructions in this tutorial but for an 8 inch card and you'll be making boxes in no time.

      Delete
  32. What size piece of card will I need to fit an 8x8 box frame card x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. If you follow this tutorial and use the formula I've come up with, you will easily be able to work out what you need for an 8x8 card. Sorry I couldn't give you the numbers but this tutorial is meant to help you with your own cards. I'd be here all day working out everyone's box sizes. Honestly, its so easy to do. Just follow my instructions.

      Delete
  33. What weight card would you recommend? Mine came out a bit flimsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Sorry, I should have written the weight of the cardstock in the instructions. I'd use anything from 250gsm upwards. I think for this particular box I used 300gsm. Just be careful if you use a really thick card that is coated, say, pearl or metallic cardstock, as it can crack when embossing. If you are using a coated cardstock, maybe go down to 250gsm or so. Hope that helps. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Helloooooo! Anybody out there??!! Hey....there you are! Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by my Blog. Lee x