Skip to main content

Flower Tutorial - Petaloops - Making flowers from fake petals

Flower Tutorial - Petaloops - Making flowers from fake petals
Petaloops by......Loops!

Petaloops using different types of petals

Well these certainly got a better response in tutorial wanting, than I ever thought.  I would have thought by now that you'd all be fed up looking at my flower tutorials......but apparently not.....Or....you are all too blinkin' polite to say "Oh for goodness sake Loops.......get a real hobby and stop shaping bits of fabric and paper into flowers!!" lol.  How close to the truth am I??!!  No, No.....don't tell me.  I'm just going to sit here  on my make believe throne wearing my Flower Queen Crown on my noggin that I made out of...you guest it.....flowers and carry on typing this tutorial......regardless of the truth!  heehee.

So without further ado my flowery Royal subjects....or should I call you my Little Seedlings??........did I just take it too far??!! lol (I think the Flower Power is going to my head!!), here's the tutorial.

HERES WHAT YOU NEED

Petals......obviously
1.  Petals......well duh Loops.....of course we need petals!!
Doesn't matter what you have.  Cheap ones from the Pound shop, more expensive jobbies, or even the fake roses that you pinched from your Mother-in-laws fake flower display in the hallway and then took said roses apart for that craft project you just knew would come up some day.  As long as they are faux petals.....we're cooking on gas (sound like I may be sitting a bit too close to the gas...eh?)

2.  Glue.....now I prefer hot glue.  Why?  Because its super fast and I don't have to put tiny pegs onto each and every petal and wait for the wet glue to dry.  BUT.....you can use wet glue....you just gotta use wee pegs or paper clips to hold the petals in place! lol  Then you have to sit with your face in your hands and wait.......and wait a bit more....until.....voila!  The glue is dry.

3.  Scissors....no daft or sarcastic remarks for this one!  Any old scissors will do.

4.  A little circle of card....doesn't have to be perfect.  I used a 1 inch circle punch.

5.  Flower centre.....can be a button, flat back pearls, old earring, old piece of jewellery, beads, pearls....whatever you want to have as your flower centre.


ON TO THE GOOD STUFF
Get your glue gun on, cut a 1 inch circle and have 12 petals out to make your flower.
You need to cut off the bottom pointed end off all 12 of your petals.  You can do it like above....
Or you can gather up a few, fold them over and chop off the end like I do.
This is the shape you want your petals to look like so........
Take one edge of your petal and bring it in to the centre.  And some hot glue along the edge but only going from the bottom and half way up the side of the petal.
Bring the other edge in to meet in the middle.  Give the petal a squeeze to adhere the petal edges to the centre.  Now....I am used to hot glue so my fingers arent as sensitive to the hot glue as they used to be.  So....if you have delicate little pinkies, put the petal on your mat and use tweezers to press down on the petal.  If you are using wet glue, this is the stage where you get out your wee pegs or paper clips to hold the petals in place......stick on some elevator music and drum your fingers on the table whilst you impatiently await glue drying! lol
So, you have glued all your petals together.....now for the putting it together bit....Yeah!  Or is it??  Whether you do this step above or not rather depends on what size you want your flower to be.  I want a smaller flower, therefore I am snipping off the end 1/4 off each petal.  Whether you decide to do this or not...is up to you.
Take your 1st petal and turn it over to the backside.  Place a thin bead of glue along the bottom edge of the petal.

Glue your first 2 petals opposite each other on your little circle of card.  I decided not to glue mine right to the centre of the flower as it would have made the flower a little too small.  But you can glue to the centre if you wish.
Take your 3rd and 4th petal, and glue them opposite each other in the gaps between the first 2 petals.  The 3rd and 4th petal will sit on top of the first 2 petal slightly.
Now take your 5th petal.  It needs to be alternated between the gap between the 2 petals below.  So glue it into one of the gaps.
Take your 6th petal and glue it opposite your 5th.  It should also sit in the gap between the 2 petals below it.

Carry on stacking the petals, between the gaps and opposite each other.
Use all 12 petals and this will give you a beautiful dimensional flower.
Take whatever flower centre you have chosen and glue it to you pretty Petaloop.  And your flower is complete.  Colour it any way you want, use stickles on the petal ends, use glue on the edge and sprinkle glitter on them.  Yum......whatever you want to do, go ahead and pretty em' up.
Heres some different coloured velvet flowers I've made.  These petals were given to me by the very kind youtuber, Fiona Jennings (Jennings644)  They are so beautiful and soft.  They make beautiful Petaloop.
Here is the side profile.  Isn't it stunning?  I love'm
This is another set of velvet petals Fi gave me.  I need to get some more of these petals.
Side profile.
And another.

This flower is made from the cheapest of the cheap Pound shop petals.  When I use these ones again, I think I will do an extra layer I think.
Side view of the white petal....Pound shop
Ta-Da......yummy flowers

Well thats it for another flower tutorial folks.  I would love it if you made some of these, you would let me know so I can have a wee gander at them.

Hope you have fun making them.  Any questions, just holler!

Toodles Noodles....Loops xx

If you want, you can buy me a coffee which helps me maintain this blog so I can make bigger and better content, simply click on the image or copy the link below.  No pressure at all, its just if you want to.  Cheers big ears!

Comments

  1. Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous! Thanks for the share. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!!

    Preeti
    www.creativegifts-preeti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me with your craftiness! These florals are awesome! I must find me some flowers this weekend and start making some!

    Samantha
    hooliewoodcreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to amaze and impress me with your creativity, Lee. You are a gifted artist, and I'm so glad that we've gotten a peek into one another's lives through "blog land". I love to come and see what you're going to make next,and your tutorials are so helpful. Blessed to have met you, my friend.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lee fabulous tutorial and I really must try this one, although question, when I used the husbands hot glue gun, once I had squeezed the trigger and done my bit and put it down the glue continued to come out - do you have this problem??
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lee.... thank you for sharing this fab tutorial! I love your funny commentary... and yes you sound like you HAVE been too close to the gas... or the wine bottle!! hehe
    Soooo flower queen..... keep em coming!
    Big hugs from
    Christine
    (one of your little seedlings...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kb ? как просто и как красиво !!! Спасибо за учебник !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another Stunning tut.Beautiful flowers.Hope you are well.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic way of using material petals, fabby tutorial, Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tut Loopy.....think I need a hot glue gun from Father Christmas, I am going to give theses a go..........
    Tilly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Lee these are stunning what a talented person you are! I love them hugs Rebekah xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous tutourial Lee, thank you so much. I love visiting your blog & getting lots of inspiration :)
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs
    Tracey
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. fab tutorial. clear and conscise x

    ReplyDelete
  14. another fantastic tutorial from the flower queen :D
    thanks lee for sharing, i need to find some petals now ;D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab tutorial, You always make me cuckle, these are so pretty,Thanks for sharing x
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow fab flowers and thank you for the tutorial. I'll definitely have a go at it.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lee, thank you for the long reply and will give it another go before throwing it back at the husband and asking for a pretty pink one for my Beach Hut craft room (just gotta match you know)
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, these flowers are just stunning. A great tutorial too. Many thanks Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these!!!! I have some petals too! thanks x Leigh x

    ReplyDelete
  20. oooo super super super ... but we could not expect any thing else from our "little flower" happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh hun you do make me laugh! love your banter, fab tutorial and finished flowers,

    off to trim some bottoms lol!!
    of some petals that is, well when I've bought some he he,
    can't wait for your next one so get cracking lol hugs Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another brilliant tutorial Lee...now to hits the shops looking for petals. I am definitely giving these beauties a try.
    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely gorgeous flowers Lee, thanks for the fab tutorial....enjoy the weekend.
    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. fabulous, beautiful flowers. thank you very much for the tutuorial. I will be chopping up my fabric flowers some time soon lol Kx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gracious, goodness, goshness and all the othr G words... fantabulously gorgeous!!! I promptly went to the craft store, purchased lots of petals, beads, buttons and findings... came home all excited to get started an your amazing tutorial - but, alas, couldn't find even one of my three glue guns - thoroughly depressed I ate cake, watched Alice in Wonderland, then returned to my table with renewed determination! Lightbulb moment... I used my tape gun! With great gratitude, I thank YOU! If you get a minute, visit my site to see my creation... your humble student... wendy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey loops, that loopytastic. Love them. Will have to have a go. Hugs Lisaxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW they are just gorgeous, brilliant instructions Lorna x

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are really pretty, such a clever idea :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  29. Superb tutorial Lee, think even I could make these! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow your flowers are amazing and it has reminded me that i have a box of silk petals left over from my wedding last year. Loving your instructions so may well have ago.... Just got to find them 1st...Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog.. Chrissieann xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fabulous tutorial and beautiful flowers
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tutorial for some reason I have lots of these petals and never used them so will have to get them out now
    Hugs Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow see what you have done now !!! ... you got everybody searching through their drawers looking for petals ... lol ... happy crafting and love sandy xx ... just doing a bit of blog hopping

    ReplyDelete
  34. As always your flowers are fantastic and your tutorials make it look so easy. One of these days I will actually get a chance to try them out.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Liz, I'm looking for the subscribe button on your page so I don't miss any more of your beautifully done tutorials? These flowers are stunning, thanks so much for sharing!
    Hugs
    Tammy Louise

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lee, I posted my project with many mentions and links back to you! Thanks for becoming a following friend at my little blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. fab tutorial lee,gorgous flowers sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lee, once again, awesome flowers, just adore your Petaloops, what a great name! Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. WOW these are fabulous Lee,whoops sorry Flower Queen Lee(Curtsying while typing this...lol)....You are soo talented I love them...You and your glue gun,convinced me to get one,and I love it....
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh! Lee, you clever thing. You amaze me with how you work out how to do these fab creations. I've seen these packs of petals but would never have come up with this. Thanks for another fab tut hun.

    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gorgeous Lee, you are a clever lady! When I am better and have more energy I will be visiting your blog and following all your instructions to make the gorgeous flowers you create :-) Elaine-xxx-

    ReplyDelete
  42. Cooo...these are lovely...your tutorials are great! I really have missed reading what you are all up to! Have you been doing any hopping? I never can find that list. Anyway thanks for the tutorial and I'm going to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Brilliant tutorial. Such fabulous flowers and what a superb blog.

    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think we can all forgive you for not making cards because you are an EXCELLENT flower maker, omg Lee these are so beautiful. hugs Teresa xx

    ReplyDelete
  45. More great flowers Lee - I don't know how you have the patience - my first little paper job this afternoon was a real struggle - & I only used a die cut! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  46. These look fab Lee thanks for the tutorial too, you sound as mad as I am too which is nice lol :O) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. Lee, you are not properly understood. А cute wee dog is not being played in Сandy.
    Bimba offers sewing it together with her .. SAL.

    Спасибо , что заходишь в гости .

    ReplyDelete
  48. Beautiful flowers. I love using the glue gun. It's the best solution for last minute crafters like me.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hey Lee, thanks for another wonderful loopy tut! My late Mother has a basement full of fake flowers and I don't have a clue what I'm gonna do with them... Hmmm??? Any ideas come to mind??? hehehehe! I gotta give these a try, they are lovely! And all it will cost me is some beautiful buttons... Hmmm??? Nope, a few cans and jars full of them too! Thanks for sharing sweetie!
    Crafty Hugs,
    Pendra

    ReplyDelete
  50. wow stunning Lee....you are soooo clever! x

    ReplyDelete
  51. fantastically clear and perfect to understand tutorial...brilliant Lee
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  52. very pretty...who'd have thought pound shop flowers could be redone so cutely!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi Lee
    A fabulous tutorial
    Hugs Dianne xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love these girlie!! so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Love those flowers - really pretty. by the way, in answer to your question about transfer techniques and printers. I did do it some years ago with an inkjet printer, so it should work. I would leave the printing on one side for a couple of days, that seems to fix the ink better on the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Your creation is absolutely beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I think I love love love you hahaha (no not in that way!) I love people that have knowledge and they are kind enough to pass it on to us dummys that can't figure it out for ourselves. I love your flowers and only came across your site by accident while perusing Mina's blog. So glad I found your site. Will now be off to try making some of those amazing flowers xx

    ReplyDelete
  58. I have just got some of these petals to have a go, thanks hun x Leigh x

    ReplyDelete
  59. Such a clever petal flower! As are all your beautiful flowers! Love the box too! Woo xx

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thanks for sharing!!

    Val
    www.crieartezzanato.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  61. very pretty...who'd have thought pound shop flowers could be redone so cutely! flowers online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Helloooooo! Anybody out there??!! Hey....there you are! Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by my Blog. Lee x